Barry and Nancy Maxner live on the beautiful Kingsmeadow Farm in Windsor, Nova Scotia. It is in this idyllic location the family has farmed since 1867. Barry’s uncle, Watson Maxner, was one of the founding members of Farmers Dairy, and some of the first meetings to form the cooperative occurred right in their dining room! The Maxners are proud to continue in the Farming tradition. “I’ve been making this recipe for 35 years. The whole family loves it. It’s simple and takes only minutes to prepare, so it’s great for an everyday meal, or you can add lobster and scallops to dress it up for company.” - Nancy Maxner, Kingsmeadow Farmers, Proud Farmer-Owner
- 2 tbsp, Farmers butter or 20/80 spread
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 ½ tsp salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper to taste
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ lbs of fish / chowder mix
- 2 cups Farmers homogenized milk( for richer chowder you can add blend)
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan.
- Add onions and celery. Sauté until clear, stirring frequently.
- Add the 2 cups of boiling water, potatoes and seasonings. Cook vegetables until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the fish, cut into bite - size pieces. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk. Heat but ... DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL!
- Serve with a green salad and crusty rolls. Bonus - only one pot to wash.
Note: You can add diced carrots in with the potatoes.
Serve with a green salad and crusty rolls. Bonus - only one pot to wash. Note: You can add diced carrots in with the potatoes.