Sunni Knoll Farms is located in picturesque Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia and is home to the van de Riet family. The van de Riets have been Farmers Dairy shareholders for the past 30 years. The love of agriculture runs deep in this family. Just ask John van de Riet’s daughter, Lindsay. When she’s not busy finishing off her Bachelor of Science (Major in Agricultural Business) at Nova Scotia Agricultural College, she’s whipping up tasty concoctions in the kitchen, to share with family and farm hands. “This is a hit at the Van de Riet household. No one can resist a delicious apple pie. This variation of the classic dessert uses maple syrup. We always use syrup boiled from sap from the maple trees on our farm - making it extra special.” - Lindsay van de Riet, daughter of John van de Riet, Sunni Knoll Farms, Proud Farmer-Owner
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Farmers Butter, melted
- 5 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold Farmers Butter, cubed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Serve with Farmers Ice Cream – Vanilla is always a nice compliment
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, syrup and butter until smooth.
- Add apples and cranberries; toss to coat. Spoon into crust.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over filling.
- Cover edges of crust loosely with foil to prevent over browning.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Remove foil; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with a scoop of Farmers Ice Cream.
Serve warm with Farmers Whipping Cream or Farmers Vanilla Ice Cream.